Monday, August 08, 2011

Sketches on the bus, train and tube in August I



These are some recent sketches on public transport. There's always a wonderful fascination about the human face. Recording glimpses of it in different moods and settings is a delight. The public transport is just one of those places where one can get the most varied of the faces of people from all works of life. Sketching then becomes irresistible!







SPECIAL QUOTE
"Anyone with ordinary intelligence and application can learn to sketch more or less "correctly", provided he has a capable mater continually at his elbow to point out his mistakes; for to see proportions, facts and forms scientifically needs much practice and experience. To observe with an artist's eye is another matter altogether, and is a gift which only the aesthetic soul can possess."
-Borough Johnson from his Book The Technique of Pencil Drawing(1930)

8 comments:

Gaylynn said...

Great sketches!How I wish I could do this when I travel. I am always afraid of being caught sketching and the person being upset. I took a photo of a friend at a Farmers market. The man next to her thought I was taking his picture and let me have it. I have been shy ever since.

adebanji said...

Thanks Gaylnn! Don't be afraid, people need to know why you sketch. If they understand they won't be suspicious. Keep your self composed and relax. If you are are afraid they'll be afraid too!

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoyed.

adebanji said...

Thanks Anthony!

V. Deshmukh said...

Wonderful sketches Adebanji, as usual. You use the marker so deftly to create relief. It looks so good.
I missed your previous post on the Royal crescent. What a gorgeous painting. So masterfully done. You may be sure this piece will be treasured by the heirs of the buyer for many many years to come.
May I ask permission to use the picture as my desktop wallpaper?
Thank you so much Adebanji for sharing.

adebanji said...

Thanks Vinayak-Yes you can!

Anna Tikhomirova said...

Oh, dear, I agree with Gaylynn. I'm usually petrified that people will catch me sketching them. I feel like I'm invading their privacy. It's like when you are at ease and relaxed and then suddenly realize you are being watched very attentively. I am sure not everyone would welcome that. I'm not sure if I would like that myself.

I do sketch though but always feel guilty and awkward about it.

adebanji said...

Thanks for your comment Anya.
When replying Gaylnns comment I was a bit brief but I'll expand on it a bit because of your view. You are right, not everyone would welcome it. In my 11 years of sketching on public transport in London I have learned so much, discussed with people I sketch, shown them, had the ask me to either send it them or they've asked to take a picture of it. The question people ask is, how do you do it? First, I know I am an artist, I love faces and I am fascinated about sketching to improve my hand and eye co-ordination. Secondly, I explain this to whoever asks. I keep my book open to reveal there's nothing dodgy going on.