Thursday, May 06, 2010

BIG ISSUE SERIES III



This is my third Big Issue seller. I met him as I came out of Charing Cross Station this morning. He was very animated and specializes in selling while standing on one leg and making other catchy poses! He agreed for the sketch and even wanted me to do it without paying, he was great with all the people that passed by, often commenting on the good dressing of women and discussing other issues with the men. He was very friendly and allowed me to take a picture after the sketch.

6 comments:

L.Holm said...

Great sketch and shot. I love his balancing act.

L.Holm said...

Great sketch and photo. I love his balancing act.

Unknown said...

One of the great thing about London (and any city): meeting great characters with a unique approach to life. Love the sketch!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Thank you for explaining "The Big Issue" mag and the homeless. My next question: What kind of magazine is "The Big Issue"? this is really a clever way of dealing with the homeless issue, my hats off to "The Big Issue" organizers. Again another great sketch and story!

Janet Pantry said...

Amusing sketch, Adebanji! Most of us would just walk by Big Issue sellers....I wonder how many of us would have the nerve to stop and sketch one?! I love to see your drawings of everyday life in London :)

adebanji said...

That is true Sheona!

Victoria- The Big Issue is a wonderful magazine that highlights current happenings in the UK, politics, culture, music , sport etc
- some more info- Big Issue vendors buy the magazine for 85p and sell for £1.70, keeping £1.70 per copy. All vendors receive training, sign a code of conduct and can be identified by photo ID's. The Big Issue was set up in 1991 to provide the homeless and vulnerably housed people with the opportunity to earn a legitimate income.
Big Issue vendors are working not begging, so if you pay for a magazine please take it.

Thanks Janet- London is full of inspiration, I could never tire and be in want of something to paint!