Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sketch of Sylvia, Graphite on Paper(A2) 2009

Those of you who are current with my blog would remember the sketch I did of Dorothy. Through my friend Graham I got to met another wonderful elderly lady called Sylvia, she is going to be 102 this month!



Since I knew I was going to only have about an hour or so to complete this commission, immediately I met her I quickly shared pleasantries then started concentrating, sometimes this is funny because while we are talking I am drawing with my eyes, "feeling" the structure of her main features. I just love faces and hers was full of life and character! She had never been sketched before and didn't do many photos either, so this was a great opportunity to enjoy the sketching and also help her to have one that she'll keep, probably for many more years ahead. You might be wondering why I have said this, but this lady is so mobile and full of life, she moves so swiftly, she even took me and Graham for a fine lunch afterwards!



Sylvia (detail)



Talking about God renewing ones strength in old age- This was a crystal clear example! She really liked the sketch after I'd finished.




Below are some shots Graham took of me while in the spirit of sketching!




8 comments:

sandy said...

I will be coming here as often as I can. I also will be going back through all your archives. I think your art is terrific and it has inspired me to get busy and learn more!

adebanji said...

Thanks Sandra! Thanks for visiting! That's the spirit, keep it up! Art is contagious!

David said...

'Drawing with the eyes'. What a great way of describing your approach. I have to constantly discipline my eyes to look and see. Otherwise, they get lazy and I stop noticing things.

Yours are totally tuned in here. Great drawing!

adebanji said...

Thanks Dave! Yes, I learnt this while sketching on the train, sometimes it gets too scary to sketch. And I just begin to imagine that I was drawing, so I look at the face and think: where I would start from, angles and what features stand out most.......etc

dominique eichi said...

what a great way to spent a day discovering Sylvia at such a fabulous age. Very nice Adebanji.

adebanji said...

Thanks Dominique!

Janet Pantry said...

Great sketch, Adebanji, I don't often see portraits of older people so this is refreshing, and what a great age! Also good to see the photos of you in action - makes your art come alive :)

adebanji said...

Thanks Janet!