Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Oil sketch of a Murky Pond, 8" x 7.5", Oil on canvas board, 2009

I have passed by this place once or twice but yesterday I wasn't going to let it be a dream again. This time it wasn't a face, people, horses or a beautiful landscape or an urban paradise that captured me but a simple murky pond by a canal waste nearby where I live. I took my plein equipment right down there and for approximately 90 mins I tried to capture its still reflections and sudden uprising of green shoots. I had to crop the picture in the end as I wasn't satisfied with the former composition. You can see that in the photo I took of myself, this time with no one in an abandoned area I had to improvise.



This painting was done with Winsor blue, Cadmium red, Cadmium yellow and Titanium white on a panel with canvas stuck onto it. It was finished in alla prima style to get a real there and then feel!

11 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Nice one - ponds are great for sketching! :)

MarceloJ Bresciani said...

Well done! Is lovely A lá prima style... :) Regards!

adebanji said...

Thanks Katherine and Marcelo!

dominique eichi said...

Love those reflections. Good job on the crop it was too even. Do more water reflections. I love the fresh feeling it has. the water because it can have that little movement sometimes, shows up here. It's lovely .

adebanji said...

Thanks Dominique!

AC said...

Very good and very great idea!

adebanji said...

Thanks AC!

Edward Burton said...

Beautiful job, Adebanji.

Unknown said...

beautiful.... you inspire me to make sure my next big purchase will be a plein air kit. I love the colors and I must say Banji, you have lovely hands!

harley said...

This was done with painting the blue prints cadmium red, cadmium yellow and titanium white on the canvas panel with stuck on it. Had been completed in the pattern God facie case to get a real feel there and then.

Pond Liners

harley said...

This was done with painting the blue prints cadmium red, cadmium yellow and titanium white on the canvas panel with stuck on it. Had been completed in the pattern God facie case to get a real feel there and then.

Pond Liners