Thursday, July 09, 2009

Homeward Bound (Majidun Waterside), 10" x 8", Mixed Media on Museum Board, 2009

This is my entry into this Karin Juricks DSfDF. The original reference was a lady rowing- I had to think long, on what to do with this one as I didn't get a buzz from the blues. Then I remembered I lived right in front of a waterside in Lagos, Nigeria for 3 years and I'd wake up and see women rowing to and fro from place to place and their main occupation was to get their boats out as far as possible into the forest beyond, and they'll cut logs of wood which they'll bring back to shore for selling. The logs of wood served as fuel for cooking! I wish I had proper photos of this place, it's only now I really appreciate the rustic beauty of places like this!



But with some "retrospective experience" I worked this composition out to show a woman arriving to the shore after a hard days work. My main goal here was just to capture a sunset mood of lighting with emphasis placed on the rustic beauty of this scene.

You can see by clicking this link a painting I did a long while ago of this place from my website.

This painting was done with acrylic, wax resistant crayons and Biro on museum mount board primed with gesso.

14 comments:

Glenda Mosher said...

This is wonderful! I love the scene you have created and the rich colors you have used.

adebanji said...

Thanks Glenda!

Edward Burton said...

This is BEAUIFUL, Adebanji.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

WOW! Phenomenal colors and light in this. Beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

This is very atmospheric and dreamlike quality

Unknown said...

Another feast for the eyes Banji!

Nithya Swaminathan said...

Awesome! You have added so much more life and color to a very muted reference. Love your creativity, great colors.

Bill Gavin said...

very nice.

dominique eichi said...

I love that glow. great DSFDF as usual. I was wondering what you were going to do.

adebanji said...

Thanks Edward, Claire, Carolann, Sheila, Nithya, Bill and Dominique!

Dean H. said...

Way to make it your own! Glorious color! Exciting scene!

adebanji said...

Thanks Dean!

Jennifer A. said...

WoW...

Pat said...

You have achieved your goal. This is a beautiful dynamic painting.