Monday, February 13, 2012

Sketches on the Tube, Train and Bus in February I (Plus Video of Sketching the Sketcher)



These are some of my recent sketches on public transport. The sketch has always been my constant method of understanding and grasping everything that art is about. For me it all starts with a sketch.







What are the qualities of a sketch/sketcher?

I tried to think of some of the things I carry along into each sketch I make and thought of breaking it down into the very word S-K-E-T-C-H

S-It must have spirit! It must have the soul of the sketcher embedded into it!

K-It must be executed with knack! The sketcher has to find his or her own 'shorthand'way of doing it!

E-It has to have some sort of energy, by this I mean vitality and intensity of expression!

T-The sketch has to be unique with the sketchers particular technique. Because it's mostly done quickly there has to be an underlying technique utilized by the sketcher to get it done quickly, if need be!

C-COURAGE!!!!- This one is the most important, it's that state of mind that enables one to do it anywhere, anytime and any place without any lack of confidence or fear!

H-The sketcher must have Heart! By this I am emphasizing the sketchers prevailing mood and present or current inclination while the sketch is being executed. He or she must believe it is possible, once the hand touches the pen or pencil and the first stroke hits the paper!


SKETCHING THE SKETCHER-Here I sketch myself on public transport and record the process with the camera in my other hand. A bit clumsy but worth sharing so people can enjoy a full unedited process of a sketch taking place on a fast shaking and moving train! It's divided into 2 parts so grab a cup of coffee or tea and some biscuits....quite long, I mean.

THE SKETCH




PART 1




PART 2








SPECIAL QUOTE
"I talk as I sketch, too, in order to keep their minds off what I'm doing so I'll get the most natural expression I can from them. Also, the talking helps to size up the subject's personality, so I can figure out better how to portray him."
-Norman Rockwell

6 comments:

Art, Love and Life said...

Hi Adebanji

Great to see you at work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ray

adebanji said...

Thanks Ray, glad you enjoyed it!

Oliver Uvman said...

Thanks for the video, fun to finally see you in action :)

adebanji said...

Thanks Oliver!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Fabulous and stunning work, Adebanji. It's been too long since I last visited.

The 'people of public transport' studies are excellent.

adebanji said...

Thanks Andrea!