Wednesday, May 12, 2010

BIG ISSUE SERIES IV, V, VI

All three of this guys were seen around St Martins in the Fields as I was walking through to the National Portrait Gallery.





The first GUMBO (above) was very vocal a great lad, who I advised he needed to lower his voice when approaching ladies to buy the big issue. He simply said he couldn't but kept selling, he showed me how much he had made and I had to believe his technique worked. He allowed photography at the end of the sketch.



The second was NICKY (above) who was a stand in seller for GUMBO, while GUMBO needed to ease himself. I didn't have much time to finish his sketch as GUMBO had come to take over again He was looking quite emotional but did the selling all the same. I asked him why he looked emotional and he said he was concerned about a girl who had fallen with the wrong company on the streets.




The third was TITCH (above), he wasn't actually selling the big Issue but really wanted me to sketch him, he remembered me from when I used to work with the homeless. So he got a Big Issue and I sketched him. He was a pleasant guy and very funny. He allowed photography at the end of the sketch.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wonderful sketches...and I love that you got them to pose with their sketches!

adebanji said...

Thanks Michelle!

Art, Love and Life said...

Hi Adebanji

Your site is inspirational and since I first came across it via Sugarbelly, I have been doing more sketching. A couple of days ago, I sketched my dad who is 89, it was a nice experience.
Good luck

From Ray in Scotland

adebanji said...

Now that's the spirit Ray! Keep it up-Good to know someone out there is being inspired!

Jeannette StG said...

Sounds you had fun as well as your models! As always, a great likeness!

Bridget Hunter said...

What can I say except your work captures the personality of each individual. Wonderful work.