Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Painters and their paintings I (ANDREW FESTING), Mixed Media on arches watercolour paper, 10" x 12", 2009

This is the first of a new series of works I'll be producing on painters and their paintings.

Now, because this is based on photos I have taken of these artists- I am leaving it open to you to guess who the artist is.




After someone gets it right then I'll post their name in brackets as part of the title. Only then will I complete the reason why I chose the artist and why I like their paintings and put in a link to their site. If it gets hard I will give clues but not for now.

Happy viewing

This was done with a variety of media consisting of graphite, oil base pencil, watercolour, gouache, Biro, pen all on Arches watercolour paper.

ANDREW FESTING
He is one of my best portrait painters, I love his work because of the vitality, sketch like feeling and looseness of his brushstrokes. He always paints from life and would often finish a painting in 2 sittings. He is the Past President of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters.

12 comments:

L.Holm said...

Living or deceased? It looks like Rauschenberg, but I don't know if he had that much hair. It's a beautiful drawing!!

adebanji said...

Thanks L.Holm, this guy is living!
but not Rauschenberg.

Mona Diane Conner said...

Can it be a younger Dennis Syrett? Or David Paskett, officer of RWS?

adebanji said...

Mona, you are getting close because he is a British Artist, ahhh... I have started giving clues....sssssssssssssshhhh

Edward Burton said...

I have no idea who he is, but it is a wonderful drawing, Adebanji.

Vern Schwarz said...

What a great series this is going to be. I love this painting and wish I had a good guess for you, but I don't, and I don't care, because the art is fabulous.

adebanji said...

Thanks Edward and Vern!

SharonWrightArtist said...

I have no idea, either, but the drawing is fabulous, and the idea of a series is inspired.

SharonWrightArtist said...

My best guess is Ken Howard? I keep staring at the drawing and no other name comes to mind at all!

adebanji said...

Thanks Sharon, it seems, I'll give a clue now since you were close. The clue is: He is a British Portrait Painter.

SharonWrightArtist said...

Please, please will you put me out of my misery? I know I will kick myself when I know who it is, but I can have no more sleeples nights!

adebanji said...

ok because this is geting serious I will really break my own rules but not next time! Should be done before 12 midnight! Meanwhile a good clue is that he is a memeber of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters.