Wednesday, March 04, 2009

AFRO XXV, 8" x 11", Mixed Media on Watercolour paper, 2009

This makes number 25 in my current Afro Series. This time it was inspired by the weekly challenge on Karin Juricks DSFDF.




I wanted to show the contrast between this sweet little girl who attends my Sunday School class and the wigged mannequins in the background. But she kind of stands boldly as if to say, " I am also.............." I won't give it all way....

Now this was done first by mixing grey pastel dust and water to form washes for the initial block-ins. Then an oil base pencil, graphite pencil, wax crayons and intricate watercolour washes were used to bring out the details. I used Arches watercolour paper here for the first time and it was a good experience!

22 comments:

Vern Schwarz said...

Adebanji, this is a very beautiful piece. I think she has something on her mind that has nothing to do with the mannequins in the background. She is confident and she is focused on something else. Well done!

adebanji said...

Thanks Vern! You have a strong point!

Edward Burton said...

Wonderful concept, Adebanji. That little girl sure has presence. Very well done!

Dana Cooper said...

Once again, a real stand out piece, Adebanji...beautiful!

Art By Erika said...

An engaging piece, the little girl immediately hooked me!

adebanji said...

Thanks Edward, Dana and Erika!

James Parker said...

You shine again. The realism of the young lady in the foreground and muting in the background is very attractive and effective. Unlike Vern, I think her mind IS on those mannequins. That is a look of protest that says "I don't see my hair style in there. What's up with that?"

adebanji said...

Thanks James, You seem to have a STRONG POINT too! Well taken note of!

r garriott said...

She's gorgeous, far more so than the plastic girls in the window. Makes a great statement.

adebanji said...

Thanks r.g. You have A REAL STRONG POINT there!!!

dominique eichi said...

What a wonderful attitude of confidence in who she is.
Well done !

adebanji said...

Thanks Dominique! Yer you are RIGHT!

David Larson Evans said...

One of my favorites...good idea and execution.

Robin Weiss said...

Bold , Imaginative!...A great piece of artwork!!

adebanji said...

Thanks Robin!

adebanji said...

Thanks David!

Manon said...

Beautiful piece! I'm so impressed with your work!

adebanji said...

Thanks Manon!

Unknown said...

You're always a leader in creativity and out of the box thinking. Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration and an example for us all!

adebanji said...

Thanks Sheila! You are welcome!!!

artbyakiko said...

This is so COOL, Adebanji! I love it!

adebanji said...

Thanks Akiko!