Wednesday, September 24, 2008

AFRO SERIES V, 12" x 9", mixed media, 2008

This is the fifth in the Afro Series- which the emphasis is on the beauty of black hair. The model again is Esta. Here she is in a world of her own! I add the African motifs as this represents her ethical background.

One picture was taken at night and one in the day time-makes a lot of difference!


silvina said...

I'm really enjoying your Afro Series. This one is gorgeous. It looks like her hair has movement. Seems you described it with very few strokes.

There's a lady in my church who wears her hair in a big, casual afro. It looks so good on her. I rarely see afros. The majority of African-Americans relax their hair.

When I was in grade school there was a very cute boy with an afro who's hair I always tried to touch. Every time I reached for his hair he would duck!

adebanji said...

Thanks Silvina, I am happy you are enjoying the series. I am enjoying it too, as it gives me the opportuntity to paint something I really really have a deep emotional attachment to.
I say this because, whenever I see a lady or guy with Afro- my heart skips a beat- I just have to take a second look and I if I have the courage I would always give them a compliment!

My mum (a professional hairdresser) used to blow out my hair when I was younger and she would actually construct a part of about 90 degrees in between. Maybe I'll paint or sketch one of my pictures of myself, it would be part of the series. So I understand what you mean when you saw that cute little boy.

I am not against the relaxing of hair BUT If had the choice to change things -I would prefer Africans leave their hair NATURAL!

Thats what I am saying through these pieces too.